Ketogenic Grilled Cheese Recipe!
I have been looking for a tasty Ketogenic Grilled Cheese recipe for a while to go with my Sugar Free Tomato Soup recipe. I have spent many a winter’s afternoon growing up with a grilled cheese and tomato soup as my lunch and have strong memories of both my parents making it for me. It was probably my favorite lunch next to peanut butter and jelly.
I decided to call this a “casserole” because if you don’t squeeze the liquid out of the cauliflower, it makes it difficult to pick up as a sandwich and I think the pics I took show I did a bad job of squeezing the liquid out. The nice thing is that even if it falls apart, you can eat it with a fork and it tastes great.
This recipe is super simple and uses cauliflower toast as the base, then you can add what you want to add. Please let me know if you make this by leaving a comment or tagging @MySugarFreeJrny on Instagram so I can check it out. Thanks!
- Cauliflower crust “bread” slices
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield approximately 3 cups of cauliflower rice) or you can buy a small bag of frozen cauliflower rice.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Grilled cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly grease a baking tray (I used a cookie sheet) with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a food processor "rice" the cauliflower florets by using the "chop" selection.
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 8 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a cheese cloth or paper towels, and twist it to squeeze as much moisture as you can. Try to get as much moisture out of it that you can. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry, otherwise you’ll end up with "mashed potato" dough.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, mozzarella, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Spread cauliflower mixture onto the lined baking sheet and shape into rectangular shape..
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15-17 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove and let cool 10 minutes before cutting into 4 smaller rectangular shapes peeling off the baking try.
- For Grilled Cheese:
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of cauliflower crust bread .
- Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle with the cheese and top with the remaining slice of cauliflower crust bread, buttered side up.
- Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Gently flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 to 4 minutes.