I absolutely love okra. I grew up eating it in gumbo, my dad always had a jar of pickled okra in the fridge, fried okra always went with the fried chicken and a can of okra and tomatoes was a common side dish.
So I thought I’d try my hand at an okra and tomatoes recipe and was so happy with how it turned out. I used fresh okra but if you can only find frozen, that should work also just don’t get the breaded kind. Also beware of over-cooking, my first batch was allowed to simmer overnight and was almost completely liquid. Also beware of the tomato sauce because sometimes they like to add a little sugar to the recipe. Just check the recipes and make sure it’s just tomatoes and possibly salt.
- 1 lb Okra, sliced in ¾" pieces (Fresh or Frozen)
- 1 can of Tomato Sauce (Be sure there is no sugar in the sauce)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves diced garlic (or a spoonful of jarred diced garlic)
- Place all ingredients in Slow Cooker
- Cook at Medium setting for 4-6 hours until okra is soft, stirring occasionally