I fired up the grill yesterday for some hamburgers and wanted to try something a little different for the veggies. I had run across a video on YouTube for BBQ Eggplant that I thought was interesting but I had yellow squash instead of eggplant. I was a bit worried about that but it turned out awesome. It was simple to make and full of flavor. Here’s what you do.
Dice a half a onion and 2 cloves of garlic and place in bowl with 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of chili powder and a half a cup of soy sauce. Stir it up and that will be your sauce
Then get 2 yellow squash and cut in half lengthwise. Then score the meat of the squash in a checkerboard pattern being careful not to cut all the way through to the skin on the backside. I did 3 long cuts along the length of the squash and smaller perpendicular cuts about a half an inch apart.
Then put in on the grill over direct eat, skin side down and let it cook for about 5 minutes with the lid down. Then use a brush to brush on the liquid from the BBQ sauce and let it roast for another 5 minutes. Then spoon on all the chunky bits from the sauce and let it roast again until it us soft, about 5-7 more minutes. Then serve it up! It was vary tasty and certainly gave us a different way to serve squash than our usual way of steaming it.
Just a note, if you have an aversion to soy for any reason, I bet you can get pretty close to the same taste with olive oil and kosher salt. I haven’t done that yet but I’m sure it would be fine.
- 2 Yellow Squash
- ½ Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Diced
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- ½ Cup Soy Sauce
- Combine all ingredients except for squash in bowl and stir, this is your BBQ sauce
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and score the meat in a checkerboard patter, being careful no to cut all the way through to the skin.
- Place squash cut side up on grill over drect heat and let cook for 5 minutes
- Use a brush to brush on the liquid from the BBQ sauce and let roast for an additional 5 minutes
- Spoon on the chunky part of the sauce on top of the squash and let roast for an addition 5-7 minutes until squash is soft.