Looking for more great low carb menu items
at your favorite restaurants?
This post marks a subtle change in our What to Eat at Restaurants series of posts as we will no longer just look at what is sugar free but also what can be eaten on a ketogenic diet since that more closely matches how I eat now. (170 lbs gone! You should try it!)
Dave and Buster’s also presents a difficult challenge because they don’t make ingredients list available on their website so some of what is below is a best guess, fortunately I’ve been doing this for a while so my guesses are pretty good.
- Steamed Edamame – Soybeans aren’t the best food on a keto diet but it’s the only thing with no simple carbs or added sugar.
Soup & Salad
- Fresh Garden Salad – Tell them to hold the tortilla strips and ask for olive oil and vinegar on the side for the dressing. I will sometimes squeeze a lemon over the salad with a little oil for a different flavor.
- Parmesan Ceasar Salad – Tell them to hold the croutons and put the dressing on the side. There seems to be a tiny amount of sugar in the dressing but because I can’t see the ingredients, I don’t know exactly where it is coming from.
- Tomato Feta Soup – Again, not a ton of info on this but it looks like most of the sugar is from the tomatoes instead of being added after the fact. Definitely no grains though.
- Cheesy Spinach Dip – Ask for a side of raw broccoli instead of the chips.
- The Lawnmower – Get an Oil & Vinegar dressing
- Grilled Steak Salad – Hold the candied pecans and get an oil & vinegar dressing
Surf & Turf
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Lobster Sauce & Fire Grilled Sirloin – Not gonna lie, this is the dish you should order. I have no idea what is in the Lobster sauce and no one in the restaurant seemed to know so I avoided it but the shrimp don’t need it. They are wrapped in bacon after all! But if you do want a dipping sauce, ask the waiter to bring you a cup of melted butter. Swap the sides out for some fresh veggies and you are golden.
- Tenderloin and Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp – Just tell them to hold the pasta
- Grilled Chicken and Bacon Wrapped Shrimp – Just swap the sides out
- Bacon Wrapped Sirloin Medallions and Grilled Shrimp – Swap those sides out.
- Fire Grilled Salmon – Watch your sides
- The South Philly Burger – Hold the bun and swap the fries out for veggies
- The Hottie – Hold the bun and swap the fries out for veggies
- Dave’s Double Cheeseburger – Hold the bun and swap the fries out for veggies
- Buster’s Cheeseburger – Hold the bun and swap the fries out for veggies
- BLT Turkey Burger – Hold the bun and swap the fries out for veggies