Sloppy Joes! I was always a huge Manwich fan growing up and could easily put away 3 or 4 of these bad boys at dinner. Now that I’m keto, I wanted to find a way to get all that tasty goodness in a low-carb recipe. It took a little back and forth to get the recipe right but I think you will be happy with the final result.
The key for me was the bread. I didn’t just want a pile of Sloppy Joes on a plate. Don’t get me wrong, I would have eaten that but sometimes you just want to pick up a sandwich and chomp down. After trying a few things that just didn’t have the “firmness” you really need for a Sloppy Joe, I modified a recipe for a breakfast muffin I used in the 7 Low Carb Breakfast Recipe ebook. (On sale now!) This turned out great and made it so I could actually pick it up and eat it like a regular slider.
It should also be noted that I used the ramekins because that’s what I had. I could just as easily have but the mix in a bowl and then cut it in half after cooking it and made a big sandwich out of it. Think like something from Schlotzsky’s if that’s even a thing where you live. Also, I didn’t think about it until after I ate it but the sandwiches could have used a few dill pickle slices. I didn’t use any vinegar in the sauce recipe so a little bit of tang would have been good.
- For bread:
- 2 Tbsp Milled Flax Seed
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- Dash of salt
- For Sloppy Joe Mix:
- 1 Lb Hamburger Meat
- ½ Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, Diced
- 2 Celery Sticks. Chopped
- 1 6oz can of Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- ¾ Cup Beef Stock
- For Bread:
- Combine all ingredients and mix well
- Spoon mixture into microwave safe Ramekins and smooth to a uniform thickness of about ½"
- Microwave for 1 minute
- Pull out buns and cut in half
- Repeat for multiple buns
- For Sloppy Joe Mix:
- Combine meat, onions, garlic, and celery in skillet and cook on medium high until meat is brown and drain
- Place mix back in skillet and add all ingredients, stir well until uniform
- Let simmer for 10 minues on medium low until the broth thickens
- Serve on buns
Don’t miss a post! Click here to sign up for our daily email!