Stuffed Bell Peppers has always been in the recipe rotation around here but I usually made it with rice and I used the tomato paste with sugar. I knew I wanted to bring this recipe into my Sugar Free world so I needed to find a way to make it without the rice and with tomato pate with no added sugar. The tomato paste was easy, I just needed to remember to read the ingredients before I bought it but the rice was a little trickier.
I knew I needed the filler that rice was but I need whatever the filler was to fairly bland because I didn’t want anything overpowering the taste of the meat. I settled on zucchini and squash and am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I diced them in this recipe but after we cooked them my wife pointed out that we could have shredded them and kept it more “rice-like” for lack of a better term. I may try that next time and see how it goes.
Either way, I’m glad this recipe is back in our family rotation and not only is it sugar-free but also dairy-free, low carb, and gluten-free.
- 4 Bell Peppers
- 2 Lbs Ground Hamburger Meat
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Diced
- 1 Zucchini, Diced
- 1 Squash, Diced
- 1 Tsp Olive OIl
- 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- ½ Tbsp Oregano
- ½ Tbsp Black Pepper
- Table Salt for Peppers
- Chopped Cilantro for Garnish
- Chop tops off Peppers and remove seeds
- Boil Peppers in water for 4-5 Minutes
- Place Olive Oil in skillet, cook meat, onions, and garlic until meet is about halfway brown
- Place all other ingredients except for Cilantro and table salt in skillet and cook until veggies are soft, approx 20 minutes
- Salt inside of peppers and stuff with meat mixture
- Bake Peppers for 15 minutes at 350 degrees
- Garnish with Cilantro