Before my wife and I cut out the sugar from our diet, spaghetti night was always a staple in our weekly meal plan. We always just browned some hamburger meat, threw in a jar of Ragu and spooned it all over spaghetti noddles. It took minutes to make and everyone loved it. But now that we were getting rid of all the processed carbs and sugars, we knew that the spaghetti had to go so we invested in a little kitchen tool that turns zucchini into thin strips that do a reasonable job of passing for spaghetti.
So imagine our dismay when we head to the store to get some sauce to go over our noodles when we realize our old friend Ragu was full of sugar. No big deal, there are dozens of sauces on the store so we moved down to the Prego and discovered the same thing. Then Hunt’s, then Barilla, then Bertolli and so on until we finally had to come to grips with the fact that virtually all the red pasta sauces on the shelf contained added sugar. Fortunately, we had a family recipe for Spaghetti Sauce that Dian would cook all day in the Crockpot but I really needed something a lot faster. Something that could go from raw ingredients to finished product in about 20 minutes so that was what I set out to discover.
This Sugar Free Red Pasta Sauce Recipe is what I’ve come up with. Nothing revolutionary, just simple ingredients that taste great when combined. I hope it serves your family as well as it has mine. I usually serve this over spaghetti squash now instead of the zucchini noodles so I’ve included the “How to Cook Spaghetti Squash” video below.
- 1 28oz can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Lg Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, diced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms, sliced
- ½ Tbsp Kosher Salt
- ½ Tbsp Oregano
- 5 Basil Leaves, chopped. ( or ½ Tsp dried Basil)
- 1 lb Hamburger Meat, browned and drained
- Put Olive oil in Lg Sauce Pan, add Onion and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes
- Add Garlic and Mushrooms, cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until onions are soft and translucent
- Add all other ingredients except for meat, bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes
- Add meat, stir and serve over noodles, Spaghetti Squash, or other pasta substitute